Monday, August 8, 2011

The Dog Days

We're in the thick of it, New York. The Dog Days are here and I'm beginning to feel those first twitches of wanting it all behind me. I'm (almost!) ready to leap into fall. This heat! But as John so rightly reminded me over cocktails on Saturday in a sticky restaurant on Canal street-- on days like this, it's helpful to think about The Great Gatsby:

We had luncheon in the dining-room, darkened too against the heat, and drank down nervous gayety with the cold ale.
"What'll we do with ourselves this afternoon?" cried Daisy, "and the day after that, and the next thirty years?"
"Don't be morbid," Jordan said. "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall."


Anyway. In that crazy heat, in the thickest imaginable post-rain humidity, before the cocktails on Canal Street, I found myself at a party at this apartment on Saturday evening. The man doesn't have any possessions! I obviously found the whole thing a little odd, but at the same time........ inspiring. Can you imagine? It must be somewhat freeing. I like people who live in the extreme and Klaus does it well.

For the 'purpose of appreciation and categorization": The Book Cover Archive.

I finished Just Kids over the weekend and have so much to say about it. I've been trying to nail down exactly why I liked this book so much, and I think it has to do with amount of unashamed love leaking onto the pages. Patti Smith is generous, kind, loving, protective, and INTERESTING to boot. This book is anti-snark in a world we've all imagined to be tainted with egos. I think you should read it.

Have you hear the new Bon Iver album? Stunning. They are playing a show in Prospect Park Wednesday night and I will be there*.

And Breakfast at Tiffany's is playing on Thursday in Brooklyn Bridge Park and there will be protesters! Come!

And finally, my friend Brian wrote this piece about Ryan Trecartin's crazy PS1 show. Well said, Brian.




*Sitting right outside the fence where we can drink wine and where it is free.




No comments: